Sunday, January 30, 2011

Book Review for: Roadside Assistance by Amy Clipston...


This is a book review for Roadside Assistance by Amy Clipston. To be released May 2011.

Emily Curtis is 16 years old, misunderstood, judged by her appearance and chosen hobbies, and is very lonely and hurting. She is dealing with a lot of change and tragedy all at the same time, such as the death of her mother and her boyfriend breaking up with her. Her usual coping method of working on cars is not proving to be fulfilling through recent challenges, and she has an emptiness that simply will not be subdued. It seems as if she has stalled to a stop and is signalling S.O.S., but no one is able to understand her needs. And, the worst and biggest problem is that she has forgotten how to pray. It is almost as if she has “spiritual laryngitis”.

Through unexpected friendships with her cousin, Whitney; Zander, the boy next door; and her new school friend, Chelsea, Emily learns to have faith and to open up her heart to trust and to love again. When yet another challenge comes her way, she finds the strength, courage, and will to heal. She is renewed and given a brand new hope as she leans on God, and she finds the void in her heart and her needs filled in God’s perfect way.

Being a teen is a stage in life so full of conflicting emotions, feelings, drama, and challenge. Amy Clipston captures the very essence of these throughout these pages. I recognized many feelings, insecurities, struggles, and doubts from my own life, and I was blessed to see how the messages within the story spoke to me of “When we are weak, He is strong”… God makes “beauty for ashes”… And God’s ability and immense love to romance our hearts back to Him when we forget Him, lose our way, or our hearts become hardened for whatever reason.

I was intrigued by Emily’s interest in fixing cars, and how she related to a world with which I am slightly familiar. That is what originally drew me to read this book. I am a girl who is not afraid of grease, but I certainly do not have the extent of knowledge that Emily does of cars, fixing them, and such. I wish I did, but it does not come as easily to me as it seems it is for her in the story. Being that my dad is also a car mechanic, I recalled terms and processes that my dad used to accomplish his task at hand. Memories flooded me as I stood, as a child, observing, listening, smelling, passing tools to my dad as he had need of them. There are certain scents and sounds of the garage that are endearing to me because of that time. Then as a young adult, I even got pretty good at determining if a car was idling well or not. I even test drove them for my dad to see if certain sounds indicated that something was wrong with the transmission or something else. Haha!! So, as I read this book, memories flooded forward, reminding me of days long gone. Reading this made me miss my daddy, who lives far from me.

While this book is meant for teens, I enjoyed it. Not all adults are interested in juvenile literature, but I am. I find it is good to keep in touch with the “youth” side of life and the challenges that come with it. My own kids are growing up and will soon be teenagers themselves, and I want to foster as much patience, understanding, and unconditional love as I can. I know that I will need them to pass through that time period with grace. The basic points of this book are applicable to all ages: Open your heart to God. He knows where and who you are, your hurts and challenges; and, no matter what, He passionately loves you. Trust Him and find peace, even in the hardest times in your life.

I would recommend this book to any female teen in my life.

By the way, I was not obligated to give a positive review. When I have good material to work with, it is easy to enjoy and to say good things about it. Blessings!

For more information on the author please go to www.amyclipston.com

And for more information about the book or to purchase, you can go to www.zonderkidz.com

No comments: