Sunday, August 22, 2010

My Third Son's First Papercut!...


Spike The Hedgehog...

Yesterday was a fun day. My third son, oddly enough, has bronchitis right now. In an effort to distract him from his sadness at not being able to go outside and play, I helped him do his first papercut. So, here it is! I love it!!

Oh, there is a story behind it. My mother-in-law could not sleep the other night, and our dogs were making an awful ruckus outside. She went to see what they were up to and discovered that they had gotten out and were running around everywhere. When she was preparing to return inside, her foot hit something spherical. Wondering she prodded at it with her foot and was confused about this "ball" at her feet. Then she realized... it was a rolled up hedgehog!!! So she grabbed a bucket and prodded it inside. Yesterday morning she told us about it. We had a live animal study, though a short one. He sure was cute. We observed his quills, his cute face, his defensive reactions (curling up in a ball and his unraveling), etc... and then I let him out into our garden. He sure did have a rather interesting smell- not necessarily a good one. :-) Did you know he will eat "insects, worms, centipedes, snails, mice, frogs, and snakes. As a hedgehog picks its way through the hedges it emits piglike grunts—thus, the hedgehog." Woohoo! My mother-in-law was perfectly willing to have him as a garden helper. ;-)

When I returned after letting him go, Luca, my third wanted to know more about him. When it was time to choose a topic, "Spike" won out over all other possible topics from which to create art. We named him "Spike", and we are hoping we can see him again sometime.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Spike the Hedgehog has a lot of charm. Tell your son that he did a great job!

Vintage Kids' Books My Kid Loves said...

Oh, I love this!