Friday, August 20, 2010

Book Review for: Anne Bradstreet by D.B. Kellogg...


Book Review for Anne Bradstreet by D.B. Kellogg

In an age where a woman was expected to be only a “good Christian, wife, and mother”, I was inspired by how Anne Bradstreet nurtured her family, blessed her husband, and cultivated her interest in sharing her faith, struggles, and life through poetry. She was a remarkable woman of great faith who relied on God in all of the challenges and circumstances of her life. Her poetry encouraged, blessed, and brought joy to others. This book expresses the events within Anne’s and other’s lives, and the parallel of those who do or don’t walk where God leads. It is clear how circumstances caused tremendous spiritual growth in Anne’s life as she surrendered to God’s will.

I related to many of her thoughts, desires, and doubts. Her imagery and thought processes were refreshing and enlightening. I was prodded to desire more spiritual growth, and I enjoyed the informative educational views of medicine, travel, and various other aspects of life at that time.

The detailed historical events frame Anne’s life in very poignant ways. They clarify life in the 1600’s. Each page is full of information, history, and details of Puritan life and known figures of the day. It’s amazing how things were then versus how life is now in 2010.

I would recommend this book to anyone interested in the roles of amazing women in history.



Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Thomas Nelson Publishers as part of their BookSneeze.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

No comments: