Thursday, February 25, 2010

February 24, 2010...The Waiting...













I have been doing some browsing on the topic of Steampunk, and was inspired to try my hand at doing a cut touching on the subject. There is a very busy clock, which you may notice is not right. I made the mistake of drawing the cut correctly on the back, which made the cut show up backwards when completely finished, but... it suits the cut somehow. Like a symbol of going back in time? Anyhow, I am happy with the result.

I made the swirly inner parts of the edge of the clock, hoping they would resemble, somehow, the Edison lightbulb, and lightning coming from them as symbols of electricity. The part with writing in it was actually a tracing from a metal piece that fell off of a bureau of ours. The lady is leaning against the wall... waiting. For what? What do YOU think?

As I do not have copper or lots of metal looking paper, I did the best I can with colors resembling them. Bronze, copper, and such metals were big at the time.

A bit of trivia... For the Roman numeral of 4 we use this symbol "IV", right? Did you know that there are clocks, and this is perfectly acceptable, that have "IIII" on them? Click here and go to the section labled "IIII and IV" to see why.

Click to view larger...

2 comments:

ZenCrafter said...

I love this cut, especially the backwards clock! I think it's quite appropriate and looks exactly right for the theme you chose. My daughter loves steampunk, and I really respond to the textures and patina, like you mentioned in the Junker post.

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

I love it too! The colors really work well, and I agree about the backwards clock...forward ones are just so predictable ;)