Monday, February 1, 2010

February 1, 2010... In Print!!...


The other day I was pleasantly surprised to receive a long-awaited item in the mail. Do you remember that I told you that I was to have a project printed in a book? Well, here it is!!!

The Book is called Exploring The Latest Trends In Mixed Media Art, Volume II: Recycled, Reinspired, Reinvented and it is by Sherre Hulbert and Cynthia Powell.

http://thelatesttrendsinmixedmediaart.com

Not only are their art pieces showcased in this book, but so are the projects of several guests artists, including ME!!

My thoughts regarding the book…

"I love to have so many craft possibilities at my fingertips. It’s overwhelming… all of this creative fun!

The creators of this book, Sherre Hulbert and Cynthia Powell, are talented enough that they could have put this whole book together based on only their own works. I am honored, though, to be counted amidst the guest artists and to be part of this project. My own work seems so “simple” in comparison to the others’, but it IS different from what is already presented.

Almost every project is eye candy for my creative soul. Each makes me want to create, create, create, and to go through my packratted stash, to study and find something new and different to make. (And to live in a craft and hobby store.
;-) )

The pieces used to detail certain projects make me long to see them in person: to flip through the altered books; to touch the handles and hardware; to open the decorated boxes; to hear the jingle of the fascinating, attractive jewelry; and to take my ordinary, everyday, seemingless “junk” and use it to form a new thing of beauty. There are many supplies of which I am not familiar. They make me “itch” to experiment with new mediums.

I love the mystery, nostalgia, creativity, delicacy, and diversity of the projects presented in this book. They each make me want to see… MORE!

I would gather that the basic theme of this book could be “Beauty is all around us. Gather its bits and pieces, and create something uniquely yours.” And perhaps, “Don’t be afraid to share your ideas with other thing-creators.” :-)

I tried to list some of my most favourite projects, ones that “called out” to me for me to try my hand at, but… the list was too long and ended up being at least every other project. LOL… :-)

As stated in the title, there are three sections: Recycled, Reinspired, and Reinvented. I assure you that some of these ideas are simply mind opening. The use of objects like rusted washers, baby blocks, floppy disks, and plastic tubing, just to name a few, just might make you rethink throwing said items away. The desire to rediscover a use for old objects might become very overwhelming, but it can also be quite rewarding, too, as you watch a simple idea blossom into a display to use for a gift or to use in your own home.

I hope that I have wetted your taste buds enough to entice you to check out the book for yourself. You can find information on how and where to purchase it at http://thelatesttrendsinmixedmediaart.com

14 comments:

Snippety Gibbet said...

Congratulations!!!! What a wonderful honor. I'm proud of you. jan

daysease said...

Oh, Jan!!! Thank you!! It is a collaboration, after all, and mine is but a small part; but I am very excited. I love you very much, my sweet friend! I don't know how I would have gotten this far without your prodding, suggestions, encouragement, and inspiration. You have blessed me more than I can say. I am so grateful for you. Miss "talking" more often. Hope you are well...

Made To Be Unique said...

Wonderful Celita, congratulations! and thank you Thanks so much for sharing! :-D that's so neat and sounds like so much fun!
Crystal

Jonathan said...

Congratulations Celita!

Michal Ann said...

I'm so excited for you! You are an artist with a project printed in a book!! How validating and motivating! I'm fresh from a discussion group about "beauty." We're co-creators with God and you've found that joy. Congratulations!

My little granddaughter (7) was just telling me about how much she loves paper...she said that just touching it excites her. That's at least four generations with that propensity! I emailed you in December when I found a lot of paper cut illustrations that my dad made as a child in the 1930's!

Thanks so much for keeping me informed! I feel privileged to know you.

....yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakuk 3:18

Susan Lepore said...

WOW, Celita! Congratulations! What a great day for you! As a fellow paper crafter, I can only imagine the thrill of having your project published!

Cynthia Powell said...

When I first saw your paper cuts, I was amazed and intrigued. I knew you had a unique talent for creating these beautiful paper works of art and they needed to be showcased. Our book was the perfect avenue for presenting you and your art to the world and you are the guest artist in our Feb. zine-which can also be found via the link you have already provided. Thank You so much for being a part of this fun endeavor!

daysease said...

Thank you so much, Cynthia!! Your words make my heart soar with enthusiasm. I am blessed to have been a part of it.

daysease said...

Thanks to each of you for your kind and generous comments, for your love, and for being a part of my life. Love you very much. Have a great day...

Michele said...

Congratulations Celita! Wow! How awesome to be published. You go girl!!!!

Melissa said...

How thrilling! It is exciting to be able to share your talent with more people. I love your use of color. I look forward to seeing all the wonderful personal cards that you create for your family and friends.

Woman in the Tent said...

Celita, That is wonderful news. I'm so proud for you!!!!! Thank you for keeping me up-to-date!! Laura

daysease said...

Thanks so much!! God is good. Sometimes I feel like I am just along for the ride while He allows and provides these fun things. :-)

MoziEsmé said...

Congrats - how exciting! You are quite talented, so I'm not surprised...